NB messaged me on Instagram saying she wanted to know the recipe for KatSaaru photo I had posted. This is one of the quick saaru recipes and usually made when people are sick as it needs no masala or strong spices. The name kattu comes from the word “beLe kattu”(beLe=dal) in Kannada, beLe kattu is the word used for cooked dal. Here it goes-
Salt- as per taste
Hing- a pinch
Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Pressure cook dal, tomato and chilli for upto 3-4 whistles. Mash cooked dal and tomato.
- On a thick bottomed kadai, take oil/ghee, add all the listed seasoning ingredients.
- Once they splutter, add pressure cooked dal mix.
- Add salt. Let it come to boil.
- Turn off stove after 5 mins of boiling. Add the lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Seasoning can be done in the end as well. I prefer at start to avoid duplicate work and I like the flavor of saaru when it gets cooked with TaDka.
- Best eaten with steaming hot rice.